Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hallelujah!!


Ok so as you can see, Owen is taking a bottle!!!!! And why is this so exciting....well up until about 2 weeks ago, I was it, meaning he would not even suck on a bottle, didn't know even what to do with one! My fault I know, I should have been more consistently giving him one early on. I'm nursing, and I enjoy nursing other than the fact that it makes me fat, like I actually GAIN weight while I nurse. My Doc says its actually normal, that your estrogen levels when you nurse are VERY low, and there for your body thinks its in Menopause, and what ever happens to your body when your in Menopause, is likely to happen to you while you nurse. Yeah for me, right? What happened to burning an extra 500 calories a day??? Apparently not true for every women, again yeah for me! So I guess that is a little bit of Motivation to say, well he's almost 9 months, we've had a good run, right? I would like to loose 20 pounds, like yesterday! I know that as moms we are sacrificing many things for the good of our children, including our bodies! Anyway but I think just the fact that I'm not his sole food source for now is exciting! Well he is eating tons of baby food and finger/table scrap type stuff now.
So the last 2 days Ive nursed him 3 times! All day!!!! Now here is the funny part....so in order to get him to like the bottle, I first had to find one he would like (Playtex drop-in system with the brown latex nipples) and then get him to drink apple juice, highly diluted of course! He would not touch formula. So then once he got good at that, I mixed a formula bottle with half water/apple juice! I know Mother of the year award right....but it worked! And he loves it, and is drinking out of a bottle....with formula....seriously amazing! lol For me anyway. I am gradually weaning the apple juice out, don't worry, and I think I will continue to nurse at least in the morning and at night, and maybe even a time or two during the day, so I don't explode! But seriously its a MIRACLE :)

3 comments:

Nessa said...

Yeah to sweet freedom! I hated those nursing limbo days!

Parkes Family said...

Happy day for you!

TheSweetMom said...

Whew! I feel ya, girl! I know the feeling, and when you are done, you are done! Especially with the third. You are a busy mom, so no judgements here with the apple juice/formula solution you came up with... actually wish I would have thought of that!