Thursday, August 11, 2011

Recent Summer obsession!

I started this spring reading "The Work and the Glory" series by Gerald N. Lund!  There are 9 books total, and I just started # 7!  For those of you who have never read them, DO, they are fantastic!  It follows a fictional family by the name of Steed's that is set back in the 1830's.  It follows them all the way through the books and tells their story of joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  There is a lot of historical truth in the books about the restoration of the gospel, and other character's in the books!  I have totally been wrapped up in them, and I'm always comparing my life as of late, to what the Pioneer's would to and how different the times are!  Its definitely made me so appreciative of the modern convinces that we have, but at the same time I think how nice it would be to have a much simpler life.  I just finished book 6 which ended with the Martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, and hearing it take place in a story was so sad and hard to read!  But overall its made me soooo grateful for the early saints for their overwhelming faith, courage and conviction!

2 comments:

Adriann said...

I love the series too. I read them in college, and I remember reading about the martyrdom and crying so hard! My roommates asked me what was wrong and I said, "You guys, Joseph Smith DIED!" Their response (in a soft don't-anger-the-crazy-person way): "Adriann, you know, it kinda happened a long time ago." It totally draws you in though and makes it all so real! Loved those books.

K Bailey said...

I read about half of them at the end of high school......maybe I should start again!